The University of the Philippines, Visayas (U.P. Visayas) is one of the units of the University of the Philippines system. It is one of the leading educational institutions in the country, especially when it comes to marine science education and research, fisheries, and aquaculture. It also has regional studies programs on the preservation and enrichment of the Visayan cultural heritage as well as a full complement of other subjects and majors. There are four campuses, in Miagao, Iloilo City, Tacloban, and Cebu, with Miagao being its main campus with its central administration offices. Most of its students are drawn from the Visayas and the Visayan linguistic groups, attracting many of the best students of this region. Many of the leaders of the Visayas have graduated from UPV or its predecessor institutions.
U.P. Visayas – Miagao Campus (Miagao, Iloilo)
- College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences(formerly the College of Fisheries) – the forefront of fisheries education in the country. Over the years, the College has instituted degree programs that address the need for sustainable development of the country’s fisheries resources and respond to the call for highly trained manpower in the field. Its curricular offerings, both in the graduate and undergraduate levels, aim to impart to students theoretical knowledge and practical skills as well as develop analytical capabilities as tools toward innovative approaches and solutions to fisheries and related programs.
- The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) – provides the general education program that is the foundation of all academic programs in the University. The College equips the students with basic knowledge in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities; the skills necessary to communicate and to analyze and integrate knowledge; and the ability to learn independently and think critically. it offers interdisciplinary programs with double major supportive of, or complementary to, those offered by other colleges.
- School of Technology (SoTech) – established on March 29, 1984 as the 5th degree-granting unit of U.P. in the Visayas during the 966th Meeting of the Board of Regents. The School’s mission is to provide highly trained manpower, generate appropriate and environment-friendly technologies, disseminate information and transfer knowledge and technology; and assist in the proper management of the environment for regional development and nation building.
U.P. Visayas – Iloilo Campus (General Luna-Infante Sts., City Proper, Iloilo, City)
- The College of Management – formerly the School of Development Management (SDM), established in December 1981 out of the former Division of Development Management of the College of Arts and Sciences. SDM was elevated to college status in 1991. The objectives of the College are the following: to provide strong management and business complement and support to the UPV programs in fisheries, marine sciences, the arts, social and natural sciences; to provide quality management education in order to train leaders for the region’s public and private sectors; to serve as center for research, information dissemination, consultancy, and training services in the various areas of administration/management; and to serve as a pivotal link between UPV and local, national, and international organizations engaged in the management education, training and research.
- Also found in UPV Iloilo campus is the University of the Philippines High School in Iloilo.